Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blogosignment #1: Asian Map Test

Part A.
Results: 82.5%

This score isn't too bad, but it's still bad that I don't know all the countries in the most rapidly advancing area of the world. If I hadn't recently done the map drawing, the score would have been lower, I'm sure.
Most of my missed countries were, fortunately, the smaller, harder-to-find nations, so I didn't miss anything like Iran or China. I knew the "Stan" countries, which seem to be the hardest ones, and those are pretty significant in today's world news.
Overall, I was happily surprised with the results on my Asian Geography test, but I wasn't quite satisfied. I'll have to work on the geography more.


Part B:
The history and geography of different cultures are incredibly important to study, both to gain perspective on one's own culture and identity, and to understand other countries and peoples. History and geography are what define peoples and cultures, and an understanding of them can help in everyday life and in the increasingly international business world.
The history of Asia in particular is both interesting and valuable to learn. The varied interactions between empires, ethnic groups, and countries go back many hundreds, even thousands, of years, and the effects can be seen and used by a shrewd businessman. The perspective on ourselves is valuable, as well. Being able to see oneself through others' eyes is a valuable skill that prevents a narrow worldview.
However, when studying these histories, one must always keep a sharp eye out for personal bias and stereotype. We will, as humans, inevitably have some bias, but minimizing it or realizing it exists will allow us to learn much more than if we closed our minds to other cultures. This narrow view of others can destroy any opportunity to learn from or about them, and should be avoided.
History is a far-reaching topic, and should be studied to allow for a brighter future. A look at other cultures can be particularly enlightening, because it allows us to see ourselves in a different light, and see others differently, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment